T. S. Ni hUiginn was born on the edge of the Salish Sea on the territories of her ancestors where she remains to this day.
Over the last thirty plus years she has worked as an illustrator, animator, graphic designer, pressman, photographer, set designer, administrator although she particularly favour’s collaborating with folk, traditional and blues musicians.
My education is less formal and resulted from people mistaking me for someone qualified and believing in me at a time, much like now, when I was discouraged from believing in myself by bullshitters, as it turns out.
Notable people who have been a significant part of my journey and aided me in overcoming these negative messages are as follows:
- My Grandparents, William, Ruth, Phyllis and John who first gave me the gifts of art and music, plus a whole lot more.
- My Ancestors as well as the Ancestors of the good people in the world who have helped us all through their good work and efforts.
- Geraldine Howell, the school pressman who first threw me into the fire by choosing me as her assistant at the age of fifteen.
- Canadian Artist and Writer Len Sherman, who gave me a polite but well needed kick in the butt plus some tips that I still rely on and appreciate to this day.
- Canadian Folk Musician Ken Hamm. A brilliant folk musician that I met a pizza joint who not long after winning a Juno tasked me with putting together his first compilation CD, Intertidal Zone.
- Andy ‘Blues Boy’ Grigg, bluesologist and publisher of Real Blues Magazine with whom I had the benefit of working under at that publication.
- And finally Pat John, a very talented actor and elder, a great man and friend who reminded me that we are first and foremost Artist’s and that this truth cannot be altered by what other people feel or think about us personally.
This truth is not simply my truth but it is the truth of all of us, it is part of our nature to pursue our passions and improve our skills, and those who encourage others to not try are indeed guilty of projecting their own lack of courage onto others.
T S Ni hUiginn’s work is produced with the aid of the following gear; Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 11e (4th Gen), Olympus Evolt E-300 ,OS’ Ubuntu 22.04, Gnu Image Manipulation Program and K-denlive